How to Connect Laptop to TV using HDMI - Easy & Fun
How to Connect a Laptop to a Monitor
This wikiHow teaches you how to connect a Windows or Mac laptop computer to an external monitor. Since most modern laptops will determine the best way to connect once you've plugged them into a monitor, the bulk of this process comes down to selecting the correct cable to bridge the gap between your laptop and your monitor.
Connecting the Monitor
Determine your laptop's video output options.Most laptops have a single display connection along the back, though some may be located along the side. There are a few main types of connections that your laptop may have:
- HDMI- A six-sided, tapered port found on most Windows laptops.
- DisplayPort- Similar to HDMI, but one corner of the port is crimped while the other forms a 90-degree angle.
- VGAorDVI- VGA ports are colored with holes, while DVI ports are usually black with holes and a gap on one side. These ports are only found on older computers.
- Thunderbolt 3(also calledUSB-C) - An oval port found on the sides of most modern MacBooks.
- HDMI- A six-sided, tapered port found on some MacBooks.
- Mini DisplayPort- A six-sided port found on Macs manufactured between 2008 and 2019.
Figure out what your monitor's video input is.Simple computer monitors usually only have one available input, while TV monitors have multiple inputs. You can expect to find HDMI or DisplayPort inputs on the backs of most monitors.
- If the monitor is relatively old, you may find a VGA or DVI port on its back.
Try to match your computer's connections to your monitor.If your computer and monitor both have at least one port in common (most likely to be HDMI), you can use a cable with identical connectors in order to connect the two.
Buy an adapter cable if necessary.If the monitor requires a different type of connection than is on your laptop, you'll need an adapter cable inlaptop connection-to-monitor connectionformat. Common examples include the following:
- DisplayPort (or Mini DisplayPort)-to-HDMI
- Mini DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort
- USB-C-to-HDMI (or DisplayPort)
- You can also buy a VGA-to-HDMI or DVI-to-HDMI adapter if needed. Adapters only serve as a bridge between two cables, so for a VGA-to-HDMI adapter, you'd need both a VGA-to-VGA cable and an HDMI-to-HDMI cable.
Plug in and turn on the monitor.Attach your monitor to a power source (e.g., an electrical outlet), then press the monitor'sPower button.
Connect your laptop to your monitor.Plug one end of your cable into your laptop, then plug the other end of the cable into the monitor.
- If you had to buy an adapter (not an adapter cable), you may also have to plug the adapter's power cable into a power source.
Wait for your laptop's screen to appear on the monitor.Once you see your laptop's desktop and icons (or some variation thereof) appear on the monitor's screen, you can proceed with setting up your laptop's display settings.
Adjusting Display Settings on Windows
Open Start .Click the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of the screen. TheStartmenu will open.
Open Settings .Click the gear-shaped icon in the lower-left side of the menu.
ClickSystem.It's a computer-shaped icon in the Settings window.
Click theDisplaytab.This option is on the left side of the Display window.
Scroll down to the "Multiple displays" section.It's near the bottom of the page.
Click the "Multiple displays" drop-down box.Doing so prompts a drop-down menu.
Select a display option.Click one of the following options in the drop-down menu:
- Duplicate these displays- Show an exact replica of your laptop's screen contents on the monitor.
- Extend these displays- Use the monitor as a continuation of your desktop space. With this enabled, pushing your laptop mouse to the far-right side of the screen will cause it to disappear from your laptop and appear on your monitor.
- Show only on 1- Only show your laptop's contents on your laptop. This turns off the monitor screen.
- Show only on 2- Only show your laptop's contents on the monitor. This turns off the laptop screen.
Adjusting Display Settings on Mac
Open the Apple menu .Click the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen. A drop-down menu will appear.
ClickSystem Preferences….It's near the top of the drop-down menu. Doing so opens the System Preferences window.
ClickDisplays.This computer monitor-shaped icon is in the middle of the System Preferences window.
Click theDisplaystab.It's in the upper-left corner of the window.
Change the monitor's resolution.Check the "Scaled" box, then click a resolution.
- You can't use a resolution that's higher than your monitor's built-in resolution (e.g., 4K).
Change the screen scaling.Click and drag the "Underscan" slider that's at the bottom of the page left to show more of your Mac's screen on the monitor or right to zoom in the screen.
- This will help you fit your Mac's screen to the monitor if the image on the monitor is too large or too small.
Extend your Mac's screen if needed.If you want to use the monitor as an extension of your Mac's screen (e.g., as space to the right of your Mac's screen), click theArrangementtab at the top of the window and then uncheck the "Mirror Displays" box below the screen arrangement window.
- You can also adjust the position of the menu bar here by clicking and dragging the white rectangle at the top of the screen arrangement window left or right.
QuestionHow do I hook up two monitors to my laptop? My laptop will only use one at a time. Both are hooked up, one to VGA and the another connected to HDMI.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMaybe your laptop has hardware restrictions. Check your graphics card to see the maximum monitors it supports.Thanks!
QuestionCan I just plug in?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPretty much; if you have an old monitor you should plug in a vga cable and the power cable. If you have a newer monitor, you need an hdmi cable with the power cord.Thanks!
QuestionMy laptop has crashed. It is 10 months old, and now I can't get into the files. Can I use a monitor to get out important files?Hypercharge2Community AnswerThe monitor just lets you see the image on the screen or add an extra display. You should try the disc recovery tool.Thanks!
QuestionMy laptop screen is broken. Can I use my laptop screen with an external monitor?KhumbulaniCommunity AnswerYes, you can as long as you've got the required cable to connect the two.Thanks!
QuestionWhy does the sound cut out when I use the monitor?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThat is probably because your monitor doesn't have any speakers; try plugging in speakers or headphones and see if that works.Thanks!
QuestionWhy is my DVI not sourcing on my monitor?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerGo to Settings, System, Display, and click on Detect to find the monitor. Then you can choose the way you want to expand your display.Thanks!
QuestionThe screen on my Toshiba C350-1LQ keeps going dark. A torch shows it's all happening on the screen, but hard to see. It keeps happening, then the screen was replaced two weeks ago, and now it's happened again. What do I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMaybe you could try making the screen brighter. Most laptop computers will come with hotkeys that adjust the screen brightness.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I view the data from one laptop on another laptop? The screen is broken.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionMy hp i5 laptop screen is broken. How can I get visuals on an HD television? I'm using a0HDMI cable but it won't work.Community AnswerSome of them require you to use F8 to transfer to the TV. The only other option is to try to replace it.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I split the screen to work on 2 pages at once?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFor Windows 10, click on the square with a triangle in the bottom right corner and click "project" in the bottom left of the popup.Thanks!
1. Locate the laptop’s video output types.
2. Look for the monitor’s video input type.
3. Connect a cable that fits a port on each device.
4. Right-click the Windows desktop and selectDisplay.
5. ClickMultiple Displays.
6. Select a display setup.
- DisplayPort, HDMI, and USB-C can all carry audio, meaning that your monitor's speakers should be able to transmit your laptop's audio output if you're using one of these connections.
- You can update your computer's drivers to improve display detection and the quality of your connected display.
- If your monitor isn't displaying your laptop's contents, you may have a faulty cable. Try connecting with a different cable, or using a different connector if possible.
Categories: | |
In other languages:
Español: , Français: , Português: , Italiano: , Русский: , Deutsch: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , العربية: , ไทย:
Video: HOW TO CONNECT LAPTOP TO YOUR MOBILE HOTSPOT?
This Genius Exercise Mat Rolls Itself Up Like A Slap Bracelet
Rag Bone SpringSummer 2015 Collection – New York Fashion Week
5 Expert Tips To Have Multiple Orgasms
Meet Monica Rose: The Stylist Behind Gigi and Kendalls Casual Looks
These 3 Heated Hair Rollers Have the Highest Ratings on Amazon
Il colore capelli dellautunno 2019 è rosa e lhairstylist di Kylie Jenner ti svela il segreto dietro al trend
Three Posts Dittmar Throw Pillow TRPT3243 Color: Harbor
Know Your Hair Products
How to Trim Split Ends and Save the Length
1980s Hairstyles for Women