How To Dress Heavy Set Men | Big Men Style Tips To Look Thinner
How to Dress if You're Overweight and over 50
Finding something to wear that is flattering and age appropriate can be a struggle sometimes. If you have been struggling to find clothes that make you feel good, start by thinking about what you like to wear. Then, choose colors, cuts, and accessories that will help to balance out your features and increase your confidence.
Building Your Wardrobe
Get a pair of dark jeans that fit you well for a go-to piece.Dark blue jeans look great with almost any type of top, and you can dress them up or dress them down. If you don’t already own a great pair of jeans, find a pair! Look for darker washes, such as indigo. Also, try to find a pair of jeans that have a bit of stretch for a more flattering look.
- If you like jeans that are embellished, make sure to consider where the details are located. Jeans that have too much flash in certain areas can be unflattering. For example, if you are trying to minimize larger thighs, then a pair of jeans with gems or sequins along the thighs might have the opposite effect.
- Opt for high-waisted jeans to help smooth out your midsection. Avoid low-riders. The waistband of your jeans should also fit comfortably on you and it should not create extra bumps around your middle.
Invest in a nice, white dress shirt to create classic, clean lines.A white dress shirt is a great go-to piece that creates clean, slimming lines. You can wear it for work with a 2-piece suit or blazer and skirt, or you can wear it with a pair of jeans to go on a date. Make sure that the shirt fits you well and is made from quality materials, such as 100% cotton.
- If you are not sure about your size, you might want to get measured in the store to find the best fit for you.
Purchase a 2-piece suit to mix and match.A 2-piece suit is a must-have for anyone’s wardrobe. It is a professional staple and you can also wear it on dates and to special events. You can dress a 2-piece suit up or down with different shirts and accessories. Make sure that the suit fits you well for the most slimming effect. Opt for darker colors as well, such as navy, black, or dark grey.
- A 2-piece suit can be expensive, so you might consider how much you will use it before buying. If you can wear it for your job, then it would likely be worth splurging on a high-end 2-piece suit. However, if you don’t have a job where you could wear it, then watch for a sale or skip this item altogether.
Buy some tunic tops in different colors to cover wide hips and thighs.Tunic-style shirts are those that come down to your hips and they are the ultimate slimming top. They have a slimming effect because they are so long. Get a few tunic tops (or longer shirts) in different colors to mix and match with the rest of your wardrobe.
- Try pairing a tunic top with a pair of jeans for a casual look, or wear a tunic top with a 2-piece suit for a professional/dressy look.
Find some quality shapewear to help you achieve a smoother look.Shapewear is what you wear under your clothing to make your clothes look better on you! There is a lot of great shapewear available for just about every shaping need. You can get shapers that will slim your waist, hips, and thighs, or just 1 of these areas. You can also get pantyhose that will provide all over shaping benefits for your legs, waist, hips, and thighs.
- Try on the shapewear before you buy it to ensure that it does what you want it to do. Make sure to put your clothes on over the shapewear to see how effective it is.
Selecting Clothing Cuts That Compliment Your Body
Opt for longer tops to flatter your midsection.Avoid clothes that do not cover your midsection completely. Midriff-baring tops are best left to the younger crowd, and they are also not the best choice if you are concerned about your midsection. Instead, stick with long, flattering tops that cover your entire waist and that go down to your hips.
- For example, you could wear a long tank top or t-shirt for a casual look.
- Try a long sweater or tunic-style blouse for something a bit dressier.
Wear an A-line skirt to flatter heavier hips and thighs.A-line shaped skirts are those that flare out at the waist going down towards the hips. They hide wider hips and thighs with this shape, and they are the most flattering if you are bottom-heavy.
- Pick a few A-line skirts in different colors, but stick with darker colors to further minimize your bottom half. For example, you could get an A-line skirt in navy, black, dark grey, or plum.
Choose pencil skirts if you carry more weight around your midsection.If you carry most of your weight around your waist, then a pencil skirt will be the most flattering skirt option. Opt for a pencil skirt that goes to your knees or just above them.
- Make sure to choose dark colored skirts, such as black, dark grey, navy, or plum.
Choose pants and longer shorts to flatter heavier legs.Opt for pants that go all the way to your ankles or shorts that are on the longer side, such as bermuda shorts. These cuts will have a slimming effect on your legs.
- Steer clear of short-shorts. Opt for bermudas or capri pants.
- Stick with dark colors, such as black, grey, and navy.
Get suits and dresses professionally fitted.Almost any outfit looks better if the fit is good, so you might want to find a good tailor and take any ill-fitting clothes you have for alterations. You can get much more mileage out of suits and dresses if they fit you well.
- Have your pants hemmed to improve the length.
- Get skirts and dresses fitted for a more flattering fit.
- Take suits for alterations to eliminate bumps and sloppy sections.
Balance out a broad face with a broad collar.If you carry extra weight in your face and/or neck, then wearing a shirt that has a broad collar can help to balance you out. Choose dress shirts and casual shirts that have a wide collar rather than ones that have small collars.
Choosing Flattering Colors and Prints
Select colors that you like to help you feel more confident.How the clothes make you feel should be your main focus when choosing clothes, because confidence will make you look better in just about any outfit. Make sure that you pick out clothing in colors that you love and want to wear.
- For example, if your favorite color is blue, then pick clothing in different shades of blue that you like.
- You may want to steer clear of neon colors because they can bring out imperfections in your skin.
Wear dark colors on the part of your body that is the biggest.You can use color to accentuate the top or bottom section of your body and minimize the appearance of the other section. If you are bottom-heavy, try wearing a dark colored bottom with a light or bold color top. If you are top-heavy, pair a light or bold colored bottom with a dark colored top.
- For example, you could balance a bigger bottom by wearing a pair of black leggings or an indigo pencil skirt with a magenta blouse or Kelly green sweater on your top half.
- Balance out a larger top half with a navy blue blazer or black t-shirt and a pair of white capris or a yellow skirt.
Opt for small, subdued prints to avoid seeming bigger than you are.Big bold prints can overwhelm a larger frame, so steer clear of these if you are plus sized. Instead, look for clothing that has small, simple prints. Some good options include:
- Small polka dots
- Tiny flowers
- Fine vertical stripes
Incorporating Flattering Accessories
Try suspenders if you carry most of your weight around your waist.Belts may make a round tummy look even rounder and they may not even help to hold up your pants. Instead, try wearing suspenders with your pants or choose pants that have built-in suspenders.
- Overalls are also a good choice since they will have a similar effect. The front panel of overalls will also help to give you a slimmer look.
Put on a hat if you are on the short side.Hats can help to make you seem taller, which may help to create a slimming effect. It is also a great way to dress up an outfit, even if you are going for a casual look.
- Try a wide brimmed hat with a maxi sundress for an effortless summer look.
- Pair a baseball cap with a pair of jeans and t-shirt for a casual, easy weekend look.
- Put on a fedora with a suit for a fun, fancy look.
Choose large accessories to balance out larger features.You can use necklaces, watches, earrings, and bracelets to help minimize larger features. Wear a large accessory on the area that you want to minimize.
- For example, if you want your neck to look smaller, wear a long, chunky statement necklace or a big bow-tie.
- For a smaller looking wrist, wear a large-faced watch or a chunky bracelet. A stack of bangles on each of your wrists will also have a slimming effect on your arms.
- For slimmer looking fingers, put on a large statement ring.
Video: How to Dress When You're Pudgy or a Little Overweight : Plus-Sized Fashion Advice
7 Healthy Lifestyle Upgrades to Make Now That Youre Pregnant
Surgery centers risks, deaths, emergency calls
How to Teach Creatively
Footasylum Discount Codes 2019
6 Foolproof Ways To Get A Flat Belly After 40, According To Fitness Pros
How to Keep Your Ferrets Hair Healthy
Mediterranean Beef Stew
Enjoy Real Sugar in Small, Thoughtful Doses
How to Get Perfect Feet for Summer
Isabel Marant For HM: First Look
How to Be Like Adriana from Hollywood Heights
You Can Now Get Paid to Eat Bacon for a Living