Cranberry Barbecue Sauce | How to Make BBQ Sauce From SCRATCH
How to Make Cranberry Barbecue Sauce
If you love barbecue sauce with a slightly tangy and sweet taste, you'll love cranberry barbecue sauce. All you need to do is cook down fresh or thawed cranberries along with traditional barbecue sauce ingredients and then puree it. If you're short on time or have leftover canned cranberry sauce, you could simply puree it along with the other ingredients. Start with a basic cranberry barbecue sauce or make a spicy version that relies on chipotle powder. For a sweeter sauce, mix up a cranberry honey barbecue sauce.
For a Basic Cranberry Barbecue Sauce
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 large shallot, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 cup (138 g) of whole berry cranberry sauce
1/4 cup (55 g) of ketchup
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
For a Spicy Cranberry Barbecue Sauce
2 teaspoons of chopped fresh ginger
1/2 cup of chopped white or yellow onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup (225 g) of tomato ketchup
1 cup (277 g) of cranberry sauce
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons of chipotle (smoked jalapeno chili) powder
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/4 cup (60 ml) of lime juice
For a Cranberry Honey Barbecue Sauce
2 cups (200 g) of fresh or frozen cranberries
1 1/2 cups (525 g) of honey
1 1/2 cups (360 g) of ketchup
1 cup (240 ml) of red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
Making a Basic Cranberry Barbecue Sauce
Saute the shallots and garlic.Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Chop 1 large shallot while the oil heats and add it once the oil shimmers. Saute the shallots for about five minutes. Stir in 1 clove of minced garlic and let it cook for another 30 seconds.
- Avoid cooking the garlic for more than one minute. Minced garlic can quickly burn and taste bitter.
Stir in the remaining ingredients.Measure out and add the rest of the cranberry barbecue sauce ingredients. You can adjust any of these ingredients to suit your taste. As a basic guide, you'll need to add in:
- 1/2 cup (277 g) of whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup (55 g) of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
Cook the cranberry barbecue sauce.Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it's begun to bubble a lot, turn the heat down to low. Let the sauce bubble gently until it's thick. It should simmer for about five minutes. Turn off the heat and remove the sauce from the stove.
- If you boil the cranberry sauce, it will start sputtering. Use caution when cooking the sauce.
Puree the sauce.Transfer the cooked barbecue sauce to a food processor or blender. Ensure that the processor or blender has at least a 3-cup capacity. Blend the barbecue sauce until it's completely smooth. You can now use or store the barbecue sauce.
- If you'd like a chunky cranberry barbecue sauce with bits of cranberry still in it, just pulse the food processor or blender until you get the texture you'd like.
Making a Spicy Cranberry Barbecue Sauce
Saute the ginger, onions, and garlic.Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a medium sauce pan. Turn on the heat to medium-high and let the oil heat while you chop 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, 1/2 cup of white or yellow onion, and one clove of garlic. Add these to the ginger and onion to the oil. Saute them for about five minutes and add the garlic. Cook the ingredients for another 30 seconds.
- The onions should be translucent, but they shouldn't be brown or crisp.
Measure and add the rest of the ingredients to a blender.Measure out the rest of the spicy cranberry barbecue sauce ingredients. Put them in a blender or food processor. You should also add the cooked ginger, onion, and garlic mixture. You'll need:
- 1 cup (225 g) of tomato ketchup
- 1 cup (277 g) of cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of chipotle (smoked jalapeno chili) powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of lime juice
Puree the spicy cranberry barbecue sauce.Place the lid on the blender or food processor and blend the sauce ingredients. If you'd like a little texture, you could blitz it until it's as smooth as you like. Or just puree the mixture until it becomes a thin sauce.
- Refrigerate the spicy cranberry barbecue sauce until you're ready to use it. Keep in mind that the flavors will develop the longer you store the sauce.
Making a Cranberry Honey Barbecue Sauce
Measure and place the ingredients in a saucepan.Gather all of the cranberry honey barbecue sauce ingredients and put them in a large saucepan. Keep in mind that the berries will cook down considerably. You'll need:
- 2 cups (200 g) of fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups (525 g) of honey
- 1 1/2 cups (360 g) of ketchup
- 1 cup (240 ml) of red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
Cook the sauce until it's thick.Turn the heat on to medium-high and cook it until it begins to boil. Reduce the heat so that the sauce continues to bubble gently. Put the lid on the pot and simmer the sauce for about 20 minutes. Take the lid off and continue simmering the sauce for another 20 minutes. The sauce should thicken.
- Remember that the sauce will thicken a little more once it cools down.
Consider pureeing the cranberry honey barbecue sauce.While the cranberries will cook down and pop, the cranberry honey barbecue sauce will be a little chunky. If you want a smooth sauce, carefully transfer the sauce to a food processor or blender. Puree the sauce until it's the texture you want.
- You could also transfer the sauce to a deep mixing bowl and use an immersion blender to puree the sauce.
Can or refrigerate the sauce.You can use the sauce once it's cooled or can it for later use. Pour the hot sauce into clean and sterilized canning jars. Leave 1/2-inch (1.3 cm) of head space. Place lids and bands on the jars and process the sauce for 45 minutes. You can store the jars of sauce for up to one year.
- If you want to refrigerate the sauce, you can keep it chilled for up to one month.
Video: Cranberry Honey BBQ Sauce
Chaos Erupts After Father Attacks Daughters Killer in Court
How to Know if You Can Sing
If you love pandas you’ll be obsessed with this designer makeup collection
BREAKFREE From Ageism: The Wrinkle Diaries
5 Best Vitamins For Beautiful Skin
Does Periodontal and Implant Surgery Hurt
23 Triangle Tattoo Ideas You’re Going to Be Obsessed With
How to Make a Long Distance Relationship Work
10 Fresh Ways to Wear a Mini Skirt
5 Simple Evening Makeup Tips To Help You Look Your Best
Street fashion: cutoffs
Ed Westwick, Terry Richardson and a Mirrored Ceiling: Go BTS of the New Philipp PleinCampaign
Can You Really Burn 1,000 Calories Per Hour on a Trampoline
How to Craft Blog Posts to Avoid Google Redundant Content Penalties